Monday, April 11, 2011

What to talk about….and randomness

A week ago I felt out of control. Not as in crazy lady but not quite “together” for lack of a better term. I’m so bad with words and am not able to put into words what I’m thinking. Speaking is even worse!

So anywho, it dawned on me that Justin was about to be 6 weeks old and I wasn’t sure where the time had gone! My blogs have consisted solely of posts about clubfeet treatment. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to keep up with it and make sure I documented his progress. But that’s not my total life, right? Nor is it Justin’s! Nor is it my husband or Troy’s life. So what I realized is that my time has been consumed with documenting clubfeet treatment while I ran around like a chicken with it’s head cut off at home!

What have I been doing? Well, Brian is in town half of the time lately. Or less sometimes. This is his busy part of the year – and he’s doing a fantastic job at work lately so I’m totally fine with it. Just hope he gets good sleep when he’s out of town. So when he’s gone, I put Justin in the baby Moses basket on the bed to sleep. J usually wakes up once around 1 or 2 a.m., I feed him and put him back in the basket. Sometimes he doesn’t make it back in the basket :) My morning consists of me feeding J, putting him down, getting Troy up and ready and getting to Goli’s. Speaking of Goli – she has been fantastic! She will meet me outside to get Troy so I don’t have to get both kids out of the car (the same thing applies in the afternoons, too). As soon as I get home, my morning is about feeding J and having enough time to exercise. Wii workouts or pushing the jogging stroller is my exercise goal. Definitely not ready to put him in the gym daycare. Troy is 18 months old and has never been!

In between that, I try and do laundry, clean up a bit and sew. Oh how I love to sew! Just finished Troy’s Easter outfit. Photos to come soon. My struggles right now include finding a balance between sewing (personal time), thinking about blogging, taking pictures, keeping up with emails and loving on my babies. Once it’s time to pick up Troy, we are go-go-go! Adventures outside, going out in the stroller or running around in and outside top off the list between 5 and 6:30. Then it’s dinnertime. Inevitably Justin and Troy are hungry at the same time. I often find myself holding Justin with one arm, nursing him and tending to Troy. One handed meals take place during this time. It’s not comfortable but it works and both boys are somewhat satisfied.

Troy’s new fav is a spoon full of peanut butter – this can be given to him with one hand. Again, it works.

Bath-time consists of Troy in the bath with Justin in the bouncy seat in the bathroom. This is consistent with bed time for Troy. I tried putting Justin in the bouncy seat in another room but when he started crying (to eat or be held), Troy would say “uh oh, baby, uh oh, baby!” over and over and over until “we” took care of Justin. So, sticking him in the room while I read to Troy works.

Then, it’s usually time to feed Justin again. As SOON as he’s okay, I set him down and get to sewing more. Sounds like I do a lot of sewing but it’s more like short 10 minute sessions here and there. Within a few minutes, it’s time to pick Justin up again to feed him and by then I’m worn out – onto bed I go!

Oh, and in between the rest of this (usually with Justin sitting in my lap while I nurse him), I am working on a 5k for Junior League. The event is this Saturday and I have to say it will be nice when it’s over. I worked on it pretty hard before J was born but have been absent often since he’s been born. I’m one of the race directors, too. Thankfully, my co-director has been AWESOME and the rest of our committee has been fantastic. I definitely bit off more than I could chew with that situation. Then again, I wasn’t pregnant when I signed up for that. I’m still working on it but not as much as I would be if I didn’t have a baby!

Justin is a wonderful baby. Very sweet, mild mannered and overall joyful. He is smiling more and more. One of these days I’ll have my camera nearby to catch one of those open mouthed smiles.

So many random thoughts going on here! This past weekend Brian, Jack and Alex screened in our covered porch. The only thing lacking is the rest of the trim. I LOVE it! Had a sip of coffee out there this morning while J napped. Thought I saw an ant bed, grabbed the ant killer, walked outside to the pile and realized it was a pile of sawdust.

Jack’s son Alan came over along with his mother, Laura. It was wonderful for Alan and Troy to play together. We got the baby pool out and fit right in as we had a redneck party in the front lawn! Lizzy also came over and played with the kiddos – for someone who doesn’t have children, she’s pretty darn good with them! Papa and KK came around lunchtime and played, too. KK and I got to do a little more sewing. I finished a pair of shorts that afternoon. With a baby, I’ve found that as SOON as he’s asleep, I have to hit the ground running with whatever I’m working on.

In a nutshell, our weekends are consumed by cleaning, yard work, playing with the kids, etc. Then, on Mondays we normally go to B’ham so we can be at the earliest appointment for J’s clubfeet treatment. Back home Tuesday afternoon. Wednesdays are normally free. Thursday I go to support group and free Fridays.

He needs a haircut…it’s on the laundry list of things to do around here.

DSC_0363 DSC_0367 DSC_0370 DSC_0373 DSC_0375 DSC_0383 DSC_0386 DSC_0392

I totally put Troy in a speedo-ish suit. Just thought if we were going redneck, might as well do all I could to solidify the stigma! The boys had the best time in the water.