Sunday, January 30, 2011

When the cat’s away, this little mouse will…..SEW!!!

I’ve been dying, well not really dying but I’ve been chomping at the bit to get some much needed sewing out of my system. Months ago, I decided I wanted to make baby Justin a few little things for him before he arrived. I thought I’d try and get them finished before the holidays so I’d have plenty of time to sit back, relax and tackle other fun projects. Uh…that didn’t happen. What did happen included a few other things I thought were a bit more on the front burner. So the fabric I bought for Justin got put on the backburner.


B has been out of town a good bit. What does that mean for me? I can sew like a mad woman! As soon as T has gone down for the night, I’m sewing up a storm. Why not? I love, love, love it. So although it probably doesn’t seem like I’ve accomplished much, it has been enough to keep me satisfied. The day after the half marathon, I picked up the outfits I had already cut out and began to finish the smocking and shadow work so I could actually assemble the rest. I hope I’m not the only person in the world who despises backsmocking. I mean, I know it’s a necessity but UGH! Not fun at all – and neither is cutting out patterns. Anyway, I had to get that stuff done before I could finish the little outfits.


The outfit below is a blue and white gingham gown with smocked lions. Buttons are vintage or antiques or something. They’re over 50 years old – thanks to Mamama (my grandmother). All of these outfits have buttons straight from her cupboard.


DSC_8439


Simple boys’ daygown in blue cotton with ecru hand made tatting. Buttons are vintage pearl. They are VERY old and don’t match exactly which I love – makes them more special, right?


DSC_8439


Boys’ bubble with smocking insert. Ecru pique with brown piping and tiger smocking.


DSC_8450


A simple bubble, I love babies in bubbles!


DSC_8450

Same bubble; reversible.

I love the below outfit. Single pleated top in blue gingham with matching blue cotton shorts. I especially love the shadow work on the top. I enjoy doing shadow work much more than smocking!


DSC_8469 DSC_8468


I also threw together a reversible longall for Troy on Saturday while he was napping. Used some old red pique and a big plaid I bought at Ikea for $6 a yard. I’ll post a photo of that outfit later.


By the way, this baby in my belly is HUGE! He has to be at least 15 pounds or so. I don’t want him coming out any time real soon but I also would like for him to stop making my stomach get bigger. Dear Justin, please keep incubating and getting fatter but please don’t stretch my stomach anymore. It is frightening when I walk past a mirror and see myself.

2 comments:

The Parrish's said...

LOVE the bubbles...and everything else but mainly the bubbles:) Your belly's not THAT big...welllll....ok....maybe a little bigger than last time:)

Mommy and Daddy said...

So jealous. He is going to be so well dressed! You are so talented! It would take me 5 years to do all of that!! I wish we could SEW together. Any interest in moving to ATL? jk:)