Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Club Feet – Fourth Casting

I made the drive to Birmingham on my own this past week for J’s casting change. Fed him before I left, he became very fussy an hour into the drive so I stopped in the Wal-Mart parking lot (of all places) to nurse him. Put him back and he got very fussy in Sylacauga. Figured I’d stop at a Wal-Mart again. Apparently I didn’t do a very good job burping him since he had spit up all over himself and the car seat. Joy!

We finally made it – should have taken a couple of hours but it took about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

He slept great that night and did awesome for the casting. He has been a bit fussy lately and I can tell that it’s because of the casts. His feet are VERY turned out, as you can see in the new cast.

Before:

DSC02906 DSC02907

After:

DSC02916

Dr. D said that he spoke with J’s cardiologist who gave the green light for putting him to sleep for the tenotomy. I have thought and prayed about how Justin should get the tenotomy. Since Dr. D said that he has been a very patient and still patient, I have been thinking that the local anesthetic would be better for everyone. J won’t remember and I feel better about that mainly due to the past heart condition. I mean, if the ONLY option was to put him to sleep and he was not a still patient during the casting, I wouldn’t even think twice about it. But, because of what I said above, I told Dr. D that I would like to entertain the idea of him giving J a local and doing it that way. He said, “Sure, Justin has done well with the castings and is pretty still so I think he would do great with a local.” Enter sigh of relief here. I’m not against putting a child to sleep if necessary. I just don’t feel that Justin needs that here.

So we go back next Tuesday for his heel cord to be cut and placed back in a cast.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your son's excellent progress through casting! Wishing you both the best with the upcoming tenotomy. The days are long, but the years are fast - to quote The Happiness Project. Love your beautiful blog.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, Elyse!! All this time, and I didn't know you've been coming to Birmingham - next time you're here - call me - maybe we can meet up! I would love to meet the little guy...he's being such a trooper!!

glad you all are well!
Love you!

Rebecca said...

Wow!! They look great!